Summer Day Camp Counselor - Outdoor Adventure Instructor (can be your paid summer internship) - Oregon
Summer Day Camp Counselor - Outdoor Adventure Instructor
Portland and Bend, Oregon
A summer camp counselor at Avid4 Adventure = you as an Outdoor Adventure Instructor = best job ever!
Why Avid4 Adventure?
- We were again voted by Outside Magazine as one of the 50 Best Places to Work.
- We are the only summer camp in the world that is a Certified B Corp (Benefit Corporation).
- We truly live by our Core Values.
- Compensation - we know it’s important. So, we base our starting rates on LIVING WAGE. Starting rate in Portland, Oregon is $18.86 and Bend, Oregon is $16.21. Your hourly rate could be more based on your experience and/or certifications.
- Summer Day Camp Counselors co-lead groups of up to 13 campers in age and developmentally appropriate instruction with outdoor activities including mountain biking, rock climbing, paddling, and Leave No Trace principles.
- Have fun daily.
- Make risk management decisions daily.
- Provide exceptional communication and customer service to parents and all participants.
- Minimum of Basic/Community First Aid & CPR prior to the start of camp.
- At least 19 years of age by the start of camp.
- Share our passion for inspiring kids to get outside and away from screens!
- Experience working with school-aged kids through volunteering, school, babysitting, camp counselor experience, tutoring, etc.
- PREFERRED: Experience in at least one of our core sports: hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, or paddling. AND - we will provide you with all of the hard and soft skills you need to succeed in this position.
- Job dates: Training starts in late May/early June, depending on the state in which you will work. Camps run through mid-August. For specific dates and details on each location & program, please click here.
- Work week: Monday - Friday, about 40 hours/week.
- Pay: Starts at $18.86 in Portland, OR and $16.21 in Bend, OR
- Our starting rate aligns with the living wage in all areas we operate! To see our full compensation rubric, including hourly rates and experience additives visit our compensation page.
- Benefits: Access to affordable health insurance, access to free gear, discounted pro deals on gear, free professional development, and more!
- Public transportation reimbursement to/from camp.
- Need housing? We can support you with a variety of housing resources.
At Avid4, we embrace inclusion, diversity, justice, and equity, and we acknowledge that the outdoor/adventure education industry has been and remains a space dominated by white privilege and those from a higher socioeconomic status. We are actively working to improve diversity and inclusion both within Avid4 Adventure and in the outdoor industry! Visit our Inclusivity page to learn more about our commitment and progress.
Our summer camp counselors / instructors are the face of Avid4 Adventure and the most important part of realizing our mission THANK YOU for believing in our mission and applying for this important (and fun) job!