Child Care Teacher
ReVillage Facilitator Job Description
Hiring Full & Part-Time Facilitators
ReVillage works to ensure that all Central Oregon families--across income, race, language, orientation & identity, and background--have the care and opportunity they need to thrive in work and in play by cultivating affordable, accessible, equitable childcare cooperatives; empowering parents; cultivating community; and advocating for system-wide, family-friendly practices and policies.
Our cooperatives are a foundational part of our work, and we serve children ages 2-5. Our toddler & preschool classrooms are designed to encourage purposeful play where our lead facilitators guide children through age - appropriate learning experiences that prepare them with the knowledge they need to be confident as they grow. Our lead facilitators are supported daily by 1-2 participating parents that are a part of the ReVillage program. These parents / family members are considered facilitator’s aides and are trained and qualified while acting as a support staff helping the lead facilitator with play based learning and exploring.
Our greatest hope is for families and children to radically flourish and experience wholeness in every area of their lives. With each adult (staff and family members) having their own wisdom and set of talents, we encourage the sharing of those gifts through play based learning. The gifts of the community create good for the community. We seek to provide affordable, full time, high-quality child care while cultivating a community that feeds the whole family in body, mind, and spirit.
Who are We Looking For
We are looking for a play based facilitator.
The facilitator acts as a guide in the classroom rather than a lecturer of direct instruction by
- inviting children to decide on their own what they play with and how they play
- listening to what excites each child and navigating play invitations off of specific interests
- modeling the importance of the process of learning rather than the product or end result and
- monitoring development and growth by their participation through play
We are looking for someone that has an understanding on how play can support learning and can dive into the sensory bin full of rice and sand right alongside the children.
We know that a diversity of perspectives, backgrounds and skills makes the classrooms more vital, deep and representative of our community-at-large. Candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, Latinx; LGBTQ+ candidates; and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
April 1, 2021
Full Time: Monday - Friday 7:45 am - 4:15 pm (8 hours paid with a 30 minute lunch break)
Part Time: Monday - Friday ( 4 hours )
Salary & Benefits
1.0 - FTE employee 35,000 - 37,500 annually for qualified candidates. A higher salary percentage will be considered for bilingual candidates.
Part-time Hourly Employee: 20 - 25 hours per week $16.50 - $18.00 per hour for qualified candidates depending on experience.
We believe in investing in the development of our team. Facilitators will be trained in play-based education and diversity, equity and inclusion. Each position and salary are reevaluated annually.
** For full time facilitators**
● ReVillage pays holiday observance along with 5 vacation days (requested 2 weeks in advance) each calendar year (Jan-Dec).
Paid holidays include, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
● We are able to offer an allowance to help offset healthcare costs.
Other leave options will be discussed further at time of hire.
- The ReVillage facilitator will provide a safe and inclusive environment for all children ages 2-5 that is steeped in child centered, play based learning.
- The ReVillage facilitator will provide support for children in social, emotional, cognitive and physical development through developmentally appropriate practices (DAP).
- Each day, the facilitator will work with other staff members and volunteering parents to:
● provide children with long periods of uninterrupted free time to explore their environment
● ensure that each child will have time outside
● ensure that all children have access to all of the centers / areas in their classroom. This includes but is not limited to blocks, art materials, easels, books, puzzles, sensory tubs, music, writing tools, playdough, dress-up, manipulatives and loose parts with very few restrictions.
● control the environment, not the child
● provide opportunities for each child to create, move, sing, discuss, observe, read, and play each and every day.
4. Facilitators will make space for children to have a rhythm for eating, napping, and playing. Facilitators can initiate snack time but children aren’t required to sit and eat if they aren’t feeling hungry.
5. Facilitators will be working alongside parents (aides) each day. Facilitators must be available to explain specific tasks that can be completed throughout the day while modeling appropriate, attentive behavior in the classroom. Facilitators will have an open and supportive dialog with all parents that shows each voice is valued and heard.
6. Facilitators will be working alongside other staff members & the ReVillage coordinator. The facilitator must communicate with other staff members regarding students activities, progress, or needs. The facilitator will collaborate with other staff members in the development, evaluation, and revision of the program while being able to share space, work cooperatively, and interact effectively and respectfully with other staff with diverse gifts and talents.
The facilitator will attend 1 hour monthly meetings (paid) , and be invited to attend board meetings as needed. The facilitator will complete annual training (paid by ReVillage) hours related to play based learning, equity, anti-racism & being child centered. The facilitator will maintain strict confidentiality regarding sensitive information about our students, and respect the privacy of families. The facilitator will assist with fundraising as needed.
Education and Experience
Teachers (facilitators) must meet standards required by the Office of Child Care, as noted in “Division 300, Certified Child Care Centers, 414-300-0080”. Teachers may qualify by meeting one or more of the following requirements:
● Hold a Bachelor’s degree in elementary or early childhood education, child development, or a related field
● Hold an Associate’s degree or one-year credential related to preschool-aged care ● Have completed 20 or 30 credits (depending on semester or quarter system) of training at a college or university in elementary or early childhood education, child development, or a related field
● Have at least one year of qualifying teaching experience
● Have documentation of attaining at least step 8 in the Oregon Registry
Physical Demands and Work Requirements
In compliance with the Office of Child Care regulations, the facilitator must be at least 18 years old and have at least one year of training and / or experience in teaching young children.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Training (paid training): the following valid training certificates will be required at the time of the interview or two weeks from hire date; Adult and PediatricPediatric First Aid / CPR / AED, Oregon Food Handlers Card, Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (RRCAN), Prevention is Better Than Treatment (PBTT), Introduction to Child Care Health and Safety (ICCHS). Employees will need to have a total of 18 hours of training by the end of the academic year. Each employee will need a background check prior to hire (paid by ReVillage)).
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk or hear students and colleagues, and carry items. The employee is also occasionally required to stand, walk, and must occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds.
Additional Hours: Based on events going on there will be times when evening hours / meetings will be required. 1 monthly meeting per month minimum.
Instructions about how to apply
Submit a current resume and cover letter (limit to 2 pages each) explaining your relevant experience and interest in this position. Additionally, feel free to send us a video to introduce and share more about yourself! Interviewees will be asked for references.
Position will remain open until filled. For best consideration, email your application by 5:00 am on Monday, March 1st, 2021 to ReVillagebend@gmail.com. Questions about the position or application process? Contact Becca Ellis at email@example.com
Covid Update COVID-19 precautions: Remote interview process; personal protective equipment provided or required; temperature screenings; social distancing guidelines in place; virtual meetings; and sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place.