Product Design Engineer
Carson is a leading consumer optics company, designing a wide variety of products that include binoculars, magnifiers, microscopes, night vision, optical toys, and accessories. Carson’s products are distributed through large national retail chains. The company has a creative culture where everyone is encouraged to contribute to innovation. Carson has dedicated a team of engineers whose sole mission is to improve the customer experience.
About the job:
Utilize your creativity to design new consumer products, from the initial idea to the finished product. Work with other engineers and engineering manager to refine your designs. Produce prototypes using engineering laboratory equipment (CNC machines, 3D printers, etc.). Meet with packaging, marketing and sales teams and see your creation turn into a reality. Carson's engineers spend a portion of their time on both company projects and on their own optical creations. We believe that by allowing our engineers to have creative freedom, we will all benefit as a company. This job is most suitable for an engineer that likes to think outside-of-the-box.
What you will accomplish:
- You will be able to walk into a major retailer and see your own creations on a store shelf.
- Learn to research and write patents, and understand their impact on product development.
- Gain exposure to all aspects of product development including marketing, packaging, and video production.
- Learn to use sophisticated machining and prototyping tools to fabricated prototypes.
- Research the competitive landscape to help create the next generation of innovative products.
- Help us to identify suitable manufacturing partners. Source components and negotiate costs.
- Discover different methods of manufacturing to improve quality.
- Learn how to best design a product for manufacturing.
- Champion the product through the development life cycle.
This should describe you:
- Creative and inventive personality who works well both in a team setting and individually
- Passion for product design & hands-on approach to prototyping
- Confident sharing your own ideas and taking initiative.
- A “no task too small” mentality; and a willingness to learn and tackle any new issue that might arise.
- Ability to research and become an expert on new technologies relevant to the product line.
- Willingness to travel to both domestic and international industry trade shows and to visit overseas vendors.
Both entry level and experienced engineers are welcome with the following:
- Bachelors in engineering discipline, preferably mechanical or industrial design major
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
- Experience with CAD, preferably SolidWorks
- Ideal candidate has at least 1 or 2 of the following:
- Experience with MasterCAM
- Experience with CNC fabrication
- Experience with 3D Printing
- Experience with optics and optical design
Please send us your resume. Optional but preferred, please also send a portfolio or attachments showing previous design work, both mechanical and/or aesthetic designs.