New Product Introduction Engineering Intern
Position Summary and Responsibilities
- The main purpose of this position is to transition new products into manufacturing utilizing a hands-on approach at Teledyne Oil & Gas Daytona.
- Assists NPI Engineer in developing product manufacturing process needed for build, test, procurement, installation; and leading the effort to ensure the individual teams develop these processes. Teams include Design, Manufacturing Engineering, Process Engineering, Procurement, Quality, Assembly, Test, Field Service, and others as needed.
- Assists NPI Engineer in implementation of NPI procedural documents, supporting templates and forms, and SharePoint website to assist the NPD process with ensuring an orderly handoff of NPD design to Operations.
- Assists NPI Engineer in releasing required documentation for orderly completion of PACE phase 4 and 5, including 3D Modeling of SOE (Sequence of Events), visual process build flowcharts and supplying NPI project gap analysis.
- Requires skills pertinent to assisting NPD Engineers teams with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) focus during design reviews, particularly with DFMEA’s.
- Lead in the creation of DFM knowledge capture KB’s.
- Assists in developing NPD PFMECA’s.
- Assists in the development of necessary procurement specifications and plans.
- Assists and documents the prototype and preproduction builds of new product.
- Ensures adequate build and FAT equipment, fixtures, material, and process documentation exists for first product builds via the development of a detailed Manufacturing BOM.
- Release supporting documentation to support Service Team and product familiarization training to ensure orderly product field installation.
- Requires multi-tasking of several projects simultaneously across a broad range of disciplines to ensure timely, effective, and within budget completion of assigned projects.
- May require customer and supplier communications.
- Attend trade shows and general corporate functions associated with role as a New Product Introduction Engineer.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Director of New Product Introduction.
Education and Experience
- BSME, Physics, Engineering Technology, or related discipline preferred – in progress
- Junior or Senior level class standing, with a GPA > 3.4 desired
- Industry experience with manufacturing engineering projects is desired
- Exposure to a wide variety of mechanical/electrical product design methodologies and tools.
- Experience transitioning products into production is desired
- Must interact with a diverse technical team.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Training provided to understand general safety practices in a high pressure, thermal, and electrical test environment.
- Proficiency with 3D modeling, automation and 2D drafting conventions.
- Ability to apply engineering fundamentals to product improvement/ development/ design.
- Training provided in both design and process FMEA’s, and FEA as it relates to test fixture design.
- MS Office Suite proficiency (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Strong written and oral communication techniques.
Behavioral Requirements in a Technical Environment:
- Work effectively as a member of a team through cooperation and group participation.
- Willing to share responsibility for the success/failure of the team.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in high growth fast paced environment.
- Establish effective work relationships with co-workers and suppliers by generating trust, confidence and credibility.
- Willing and capable of resolving differences with others openly and constructively.
- Constructively reacts to feedback from superiors, subordinates, customers and peers.
- Keeps next-layer management informed of positive and negative information that would have significant impact on NPD project progress.
- Perseveres to overcome obstacles and is willing to put extra effort to meet the demands of the organization.