Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA) is actively seeking driven individuals who enjoy challenging and impactful work in the exploration of physical and computational sciences. Qualified applicants will be adept at analyzing problems and applying theoretical techniques to develop solutions for complex problems related to chemical and biological (CB) defense and countering weapons of mass destruction (CWMD). This includes developing and applying modeling and simulation (M&S) tools and data analysis techniques to understand the fundamental phenomenology involving/related to/precipitated by/ CB threats.
Candidates have the option of working in Raleigh, NC or Niceville, FL.
The Physicist/Engineer position is geared for a physicist or engineer with a passion for and background in the evaluation of complex physics on multiple spatial and temporal domains. Our core work is focused on basic and applied research to increase understanding of an operational (warfighter) environment that includes CB threats or hazards; and the effectiveness of CWMD or CB defense capabilities. Job duties of the Physicist/Engineer include, but are not limited to: conducting advanced scientific research, using and adapting M&S and data analytics to examine thermal, chemical, airborne operational and test environments (at various resolutions, aggregations, and levels of fidelity). In addition, the Physicist/Engineer will be responsible for preparing, analyzing and organizing technical data and reports into summaries for management review, and contributing new ideas and technical approaches to research projects, within a multi-functional team.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering (Mechanical preferred), physics, math, or related field.
- Zero to 2 years of relevant experience.
- Strong physics and mathematical/statistical background.
- Strong computer and coding skills with at least minimal experience in/exposure to any of the object oriented languages (but primarily C++ or Java) and scripting languages (such as Python, or equivalent).
- Strong technical writing (such as academic summaries and research papers) and/oral presentation skill.
- Must meet eligibility requirements to obtain a security clearance.
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in engineering (Mechanical preferred), physics, math, or related field.
- Expertise in numerical modeling and simulation technology and/or DoD-related weapon effects codes.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Visual Studio compilers and integrated tools.
- Familiarity with graphical tools such as ParaView, LLNL’s Visit, or TecPlot.
- Expertise in probability and statistical methods (computing tools such as R).
- Microsoft Windows and Office skills (to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and SharePoint).
Company & Division Information
ARA’s Southeast Division, Advanced Modeling & Simulations Systems Directorate develops high quality M&S planning tools supporting decision making for weapon effects, geographic information system (GIS) and structural modeling; provides weaponeering, Intel characterization, and force protection support for defense agencies, public and private sectors. Core competencies include physics based M&S; conventional and nuclear explosives modeling; kinetic, non-kinetic, and cyber modeling; agent defeat; machine learning/artificial intelligence; engineering model development & integration; validation, verification & accreditation; SME support; and multi-fidelity medical M&S.
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,100 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is pretty good too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), benefits package, and a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels. ARA gives its employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take more active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.