Construction Engineering Intern
Our Ontario construction office is seeking a summer intern to perform inspections, surveys and office work. Come join our team to gain valuable work experience and learn more about the great culture at ODOT. We are accepting applications from current college students and those who have graduated within the last two years.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Interpret contract plans and specifications for construction projects.
- Inspect and document work performed by contractors.
- Check quality and quantity of materials.
- Prepare quantity and cost estimates and technical reports.
- Assist with construction survey work.
- Plot cross sections and profiles using field survey data.
- Record data and check field notes for accuracy.
- Modify engineering drawings.
- Summarize bid items and draft specifications/other reports.
- Review project documents for compliance with guidelines.
- Assist with project design.
- Work occurs outdoors 75% of the time or more. You may be exposed to hostile individuals, traffic hazards, construction equipment and bad weather. Work may occur during the day or night and may involve overtime. Frequent overnight travel is required.
What you will learn:
- How to inspect construction projects and perform field work.
- How to produce project documents such as field and daily inspection reports.
- How to calculate quantities and draft pay notes.
- Improved methods of verbal and written communication.
Want to know about new job postings? Click HERE to subscribe for email notifications through GovDelivery!
What we need:
- A college student studying civil engineering, project management or a related field whose freshman year will be completed by May 2019. Good grades are a plus! You may also apply if you have graduated with a degree in these fields within the past two years.
- Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidates.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Coursework and/or work experience in civil or transportation engineering.
- CAD experience.