Transportation Planning Intern
We are seeking a creative thinker with a passion for sustainable transportation to join our team as a planning intern. In this role you will assess the statewide transit network, particularly focusing on the passenger experience. Key duties will include conducting site visits and gathering data to create transit improvement plans. Come to ODOT to gain valuable work experience and learn more about our great culture! We are accepting applications from college students who have completed at least their freshman year. Recent graduates are also invited to apply.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
A day in the life:
- Visit key transit hubs to explore opportunities for improvement.
- Develop inventory and documentation processes.
- Report on transit hub conditions and passenger experiences.
- Create an action plan including lessons learned.
- Give presentations on findings.
- Work occurs both in an office and in the field.
- Travel is often solo and may be overnight.
What you will learn:
- How to use transit-related software.
- How to collect and analyze data.
- How to plan for the needs of a statewide transit network.
- Effective communication skills.
What we need:
- Someone who is pursuing a college degree and has completed at least their freshman year. Good grades are a plus! Those who have graduated within the past two years are also invited to apply.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these qualities, let us know! It’s how we will choose whom to move forward!
- Focus of study in planning, geography, computer science or related field.
- Enthusiastic about traveling around Oregon using public transit.
- Happy to support ODOT goals of moving automobiles quickly and safely.
- Passionate about sustainable transportation.
- Eager to collect, transform, analyze and communicate data and related results/conclusions.
- Looking forward to presenting results to ODOT advisory groups.
To learn more and apply visit oregon.gov/jobs and search for "ODOT" or "intern," or follow the provided link.